The discovery of disease mutations in the genes encoding for the proteins that form the deposits found in the brain of patients affected by neurodegenerative disorders has established a link between frequent sporadic and rare hereditary forms of disease. This has demonstrated the causative role of these proteins for the neurodegenerative process. The research group studies the molecular process that regulates protein misfolding, deposition and toxicity in cellular models of disease. In particular we are interested to characterize post-translational modifications and subcellular localization of proteins involved in the pathogenesis of neurodegenerative disorders.
recent publications (for a complete list follow this link)
- Ulrich G, A Salvadè, P Boersema, T Calì, C Foglieni, M Sola, P Picotti, S Papin and P Paganetti (2018) Phosphorylation of nuclear Tau is modulated by distinct cellular pathways. Scientific Reports 8:17702. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-018-36374-4
- Fregno I, E Fasana, TJ Bergmann, A Raimondi, M Loi, T Soldà, C Galli, R D’Antuono, D Morone, A Danieli, P Paganetti, E van Anken and M Molinari (2018) ER‐to‐lysosome‐associated degradation of proteasome‐resistant ATZ polymers occurs via receptor‐mediated vesicular transport. The EMBO Journal 37:e99259. DOI: 10.15252/embj.201899259
- Foglieni C, S Papin, A Salvadè, T Afroz, S Pinton, G Pedrioli, G Ulrich, M Polymenidou and P Paganetti* (2017) Split GFP technologies to structurally characterize and quantify functional biomolecular interactions of FTD-related proteins. Scientific Reports 7:14013. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-14459-w
- Lathuilière A, P Valdés, S Papin, M Cacquevel, C Maclachlan, GW Knott, A Muhs, P Paganetti and BL Schneider (2017) Motifs in the tau protein that control binding to microtubules and aggregation determine pathological effects. Scientific Reports 7:13556. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-13786-2
- Fontana AO, D Piffaretti, F Marchi, F Burgio, AB Faia-Torres, P Paganetti, S Pinton, U Pieles and M Reinert (2017) Epithelial growth factor receptor expression influences 5-ALA induced glioblastoma fluorescence. Journal of Neuro-Oncology 133:497-507 DOI: 10.1007/s11060-017-2474-0.
- Afroz T, EM Hock, P Ernst, C Foglieni, M Jambeau, LA Gilhespy, F Laferriere, Z Maniecka, A Plückthun, P Mittl, P Paganetti, FHT Allain and M Polymenidou (2017) Functional and dynamic polymerization of the ALS-linked protein TDP-43 antagonizes its pathologic aggregation. Nature Communications 8:45. DOI: 10.1038/s41467-017-00062-0
- Sgroi S, C Capper-Loup, P Paganetti and A. Kaelin-Lang (2016) Enkephalin and dynorphin neuropeptides are differently correlated with locomotor hypersensitivity and levodopa-induced dyskinesia in parkinsonian rats. Experimental Neurology 280:80-88. DOI: 10.1016/j.expneurol.2016.03.024
- Paganetti P, K Antoniello, K Devraj, N Toni, D Kieran, R Madani, M Pihlgren, O Adolfsson, W Froestl, A Schrattenholz, S Liebner, D Havas, M Windisch, JR Cirrito, A Pfeifer, A Muhs (2014) Increased efflux of amyloid-β peptides through the blood-brain barrier by muscarinic acetylcholine receptor inhibition reduces pathological phenotypes in mouse models of brain amyloidosis. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease. 38:767-786. DOI: 10.3233/JAD-131091
- Paganetti P, J Reichwald, D Bleckmann, D Abramowski, D Ammaturo, C Barske, S Danner, M Molinari, M Müller, S Papin, S Rabe, P Schmid and M Staufenbiel (2013) Transgenic expression of β1 antibody in brain neurons impairs age-dependent amyloid deposition in APP23 mice. Neurobiology of Aging 34:2866-2878. DOI: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2013.06.013